Friday, March 4, 2011

Race, Gender and the Media 2/28

Monday in class we listened to people present their projects. I really enjoyed Kali's project about how gay's are misrepresented in the media. I'm an avid Glee watcher and, although Kurt is one of my favorite characters, I do feel that they make him be every stereotype a gay man has.

I feel that stereotyping gays has led to a lot of issues, possibly even the reason there has been an increase in bullying. I understand that a lot of people don't agree with their lifestyle but that doesn't mean we should tease and bully them. This same type of treatment happened to women in the old days. We were characterized as "housewives" and portrayed as weak. Then, the feminist movement happened, and women began to show they were more than what men believed them to be.

Today, the media portrays more women being independent and successful. I feel that the time is coming, when gay's will have their chance to prove themselves as well. Until then, I won't be able to watch any shows, with a gay character, without feeling sad and bewildered for people I have known to be kind and absolutely amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment