Monday, February 21, 2011

Race, Gender and the Media 2/14

Since we've been talking about race in the media and this is black history month, I decided to share an empowering clip from 60 minutes. Morgan Freeman was being interviewed and was asked about Black History month. His response was priceless.

He doesn't want a black history month and I love when he says that "black history is American history." How do we end racism according to Morgan Freeman? To stop talking about it. If only the media and the maketing world would listen to him. I think that black history month is important only because it gives blacks the opportunity to have their history showcased but I don't really see a need for it. I feel like having a month dedicated to them supports racism because it's like telling them that you only get February to be recognized. Maybe that's just my opinion.

How do we end racism?? Hopefully everyone will take Morgan Freeman's advice and stop talking about it.

"Racism is man's gravest threat to man---the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason" -Abraham J. Heschel

No comments:

Post a Comment