Sunday, February 20, 2011

Silence isn't always golden

I am a hardcore Chicago Bears fan but I do love some players from other teams. One of these is Mark Sanchez. Sanchez, in my opinion, is one of the sexiest quarterbacks in the NFL. He has been an outstanding quarterback for the New York Jets and some would say a great role model, until recently.
Not much has been heard about Sanchez having a “good time” with a 17-year-old and he can thank the protests in Egypt for that. Recently, the 17-year-old named Eliza, sold a story and pictures to a website called Deadspin.com telling about her racy night she had with Sanchez. Although the state of New York does not find this “illegal”, Sanchez has yet to come out and apologize for the scandal to his fans.
As someone who is in the public eye and seen as a leader of an NFL team, it is his duty to apologize to his fans about his behavior. Not saying anything leads to more talk. We have been discussing in class how being silent can sometimes make the situation worse. Fraser Seitel, a crisis management expert, wrote an article of three simple things that Sanchez should say in order to end the whole mess. The suggestions were:
1.       I made a mistake, and I regret it
2.       I’ve learned from this that I’ve got to be more careful
3.       From now on, I will be
Again, Sanchez would me smart to take Seitel’s advice. Situations like these always find ways of reemerging if they aren’t settled. He should look at Ben Roethlisberger and Tiger Woods. They both came out and apologized. Some still talk about their incidents but the majority has moved on. Let’s just hope that Sanchez follows their lead. Then again, I do love seeing his face in the news!

No comments:

Post a Comment